Friday, February 27, 2009

Gender in the Media

This week, I used television as my main way to track how women are portrayed in accordance to stereotypes. Below are my ten occurrences i took note of.

1. Monday, February 23, 2009 at 7 p.m.
ABC Family- Television
The Secret Life of the American Teenager

Amy's mother's portrayal as a woman incapable of getting a job in the real world after a divorce and lack of education. The thought of a woman working while not being dependent on a man was seen as laughable.


2. Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 9 p.m.
Bravo TV- Television
The Real Housewives of Orange County: Reunion Special

Gretchen is portrayed and outed as a typical California young blonde "gold digger", waiting for her old fiance to pass away and claim his money. This is the general stereotype and portrayal of all women in her position

3. Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 10 p.m.
Bravo TV- Television
The Real Housewives of New York City

This show portrays women as living the easy life out at the Hamptons with maids and nannies. The women are also seen party hopping and never actually doing their career stuff. This shows the typical look of women only out "playing" while men are working for the money to carry on this lifestyle.

4. Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11 p.m.
Movie at my house
Waitress with Keri Russell

This movie is the perfect example of a woman being forced to stay at home to raise children and serve her husband. The main female character is stuck in what is seen as the stereotypical housewife's job and only allowed out of the home to work and bring the money back to the supervision of her husband.

5. Thursday, February 26, 2009 11:01 a.m.
Mass e-mail - Internet
Sorority E-mail

We receive weekly updated messages from my sorority on upcoming events and announcements. However, this week there was an excerpt in there about when to wear your sorority letters out and when not to. The e-mail pretty much said to only wear your letters when dressed like a lady, handling yourself in an appropriate manner, and looking well put together. Again, claiming the thought that women must look perfect always.

6. Thursday, February 26, 2009 7 p.m.
ABC Network - Television
Ugly Betty

Wilhelmina Slater gives a slightly overheard speech about how women have to choose between either a career or a husband and you can't have both. Obviously, men can have both but this representation claims only men are capable of handling both aspects of life.

7. Friday, February 27, 2009 11 a.m.
Lifetime Network- Television
Desperate Housewives

In this episode, a dummy of Bri is made and found at the home of her ex-boyfriend who committed suicide. This portrays women as a sex object and used primarily for that purpose.

8. Friday February 27, 2009 11:20 a.m.
Lifetime Network- Commercial
Kelly Ripa Electrolux Commercial

Kelly Ripa is portrayed as the perfect housewife running around and cleaning, yet you never see her many careers whatsoever. This makes it seem as though the housewife and mother role trump having a career.

Reflections:

1. Honestly, I was not very surprised about the amount of stereotypes in the media today. I think gender roles are something that have been around for years and more than likely will not be going away anytime soon. I strongly believe the media holds the stereotypes strong in their minds while writing scripts or staging a reality show.

2. Personally, I get very offended if I am stereotyped. I am not the type of girl who looks forward to being a mother and running my home. I look more forward to furthering my education and obtaining all my career goals before settling down, or ever, having children and staying at home. I do get easily offended when people second guess me for having this outlook on life. I do not find it that rare in our society anymore, but it is still looked down upon to not dream of becoming a mother and that upsets me.

3. I can definitely see how the continuous representation of women and races in the media can become harmful to our society when discussing how individuals gain their certain perspectives on people. I think that when we are young outside of our family, the media is the one way to become more aware of the world. Often times, the media is what makes us have certain outlooks on life or preconceived notions. As we grow older and become more worldy, I feel as though this begins to slowly dwindle and stereotypes are broken down.

3 comments:

  1. Did you notice any racial stereotypes during your week of observations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You picked probably some of the best examples of gender stereotyping. I've seen the movie The Waitress and the sad truth is, there are women out there who let their husband's control their lives. I never would have survived living back in the 40s and 50s when women were housewives and just took care of the children, made their husband dinner and cleaned the house everyday. Nowadays there are so many independent women with great careers and don't even think about marriage until they have fully accomplished all the career goals and are ready to settle down. The media is wonderful and provides us with lots of information that we need to know about our world, but there is no need for them to fill our minds with their bias and stupid stereotypes. By reading your blog, I think we agree on a lot of important issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that gender stereotypes are all around us and focused on way too much in today's society. On the Real Housewives of Orange County, Gretchen is constantly accused of being a gold digger and not in love with her fiance at all because he is so much older than her. However, whose place is it to really say if she is in love with him or not. People only see the age difference and immediately stereotype against her, which I think is very wrong.
    I definitely do not like being stereotyped in any way and get offended by it as well. Being in college and in a long term relationship is the worst in my opinion because I am always stereotyped in the sense that I should get married right out of college. I constantly am asked when I will be engaged, just because I have a boyfriend and am about to graduate. However, I look forward to following my own dreams and going wherever my career may take me. I want to be successful and working for a long time in my future and am in no way thinking of marriage at this time in my life. I think we have a lot of similar ideas in that sense and agree on a lot of other aspects about stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete